You guys, it tore me apart missing out on last week’s #thriftscorethursday y’all really found some dreamy pieces these past two weeks! So I’m hoping to more than make up for it this week. Last weekend was hands-down the best thrifting weekend of my life during our town’s annual GINORMOUS yard sale (the Snap! Bust Tour- although nothing fit in my suitcase and last year’s yard sale are closely behind). Not only did I get to enjoy thrifting with the beau, but I also got to share tons of giggles my amazing MIL (ok technically we're not related by paper…) all while putting my bartering skills to use. But I'm getting ahead of myself...
Oh and one last thing before we get this show on the road. You know the two patriotic tablescapes I showed you yesterday? Well today I’m over at The Happier Homemaker showing off one more!
If you’re new ‘round these parts, let me cordially invite you to the most happenin’ Instagram and Twitter hashtag party around. You see we, as in my two blogging bff’s Brynne from The Gathered Home, Megan from Rental Revival and I, have a real weakness for second hand treasures. So much that we created this little jazzyfayeproduction. I mean c’mon it’s been 18 weeks and we haven’t slowed down yet (besides catching our breath from blogging life). Anyway, our favorite part is hanging out on Instagram drooling all over YOUR finds. That’s right- we like checking out all your goodies… as in those awkward Richard Simmons posters, the wildly popular mid-century modern furniture pieces, or the secondhand treasure you discovered years ago.
Alright, enough of that mushy stuff, check out these spectacular finds from last week:
Mandy kicks off the list of my favorites this sassy green and gold (Packers holla!!) mini-bar set up in her dining room. The entire display is so convenient, I could totally pull up a bar stool and concoct the perfect martini. To find glasses and a beaker like hers would rock my world! And don’t even get me started on those ornate tumblers…
Melissa from The Sweet Escape shows off this unique shiny green silverware holder she scored for one big fat dollar. Oddly enough her setup too is Green and Yellow- ahh, the life of a cheesehead.
Last but certainly not least, Krista from Goodwill Glam created this pretty vignette featuring that clear mid-century lucite knot candle holder. It’s the perfect piece to finish off the look.
And now it’s time to dish all the dirty deets on my finds this week:
Heart the photo here.
Yes that is a white semi-vintage KitchenAid stand mixer. You guys will not believe the price I paid for it!! Wait for it… $20!!! The seller JUST opened shop at noon and I did a triple take, blinked, and the thing was in my arms. There ain’t no negotiating with that!! Which were the words that audibly came out of my mouth in the next second. To which he said “my girlfriend and I are combining households with 5 kids, 3 teenagers, and 1600 square feet.” I was on cloud nine, doing some extremely awkward happy dance that probably resembled some kinda hip action all while lugging this somewhat heavy machine. You’re welcome for the visual. And NO the beau was not allowed carry it, it was my thrift score of the YEAR!! Another man’s downsizing is another man’s treasure- not catchy enough, sorry Macklemore.
Oh and that other stuff- let’s break it down:
- My next favorite piece is that typewriter. I have been crushing on every one I’ve spied on our #thriftscorethursday Instagram Challenge and finally decided to take the plunge. It was a bit of a star-struck moment for me (I was still coming off the high from finding the stand mixer) because the sticker said “Make an Offer.” They too had JUST opened at noon and I didn’t want to sound too cheap, so I just had them throw out a number. She said $20 orr… $15 then did a quick demo mentioning that it still works and it just needs ink. I said SOLD and snatched that baby up. Yes I know, the Smith Corona I was ogling over was $12.99 but I just couldn’t help myself- I was FINALLY going to have one of my own.
- The Gold Eagle Nautical-ish mirror (the mirror is bubbled) originally had a sticker on it for $10 and the JUST marked it down to $3 when I pulled up. They happen to be the same place I got a pair of delicate metal peacock [word] (not shown) listed at $1 each. So I tried $4 for all and he agreed. Sometimes you just have to try and it works out in your favor! P.S. I’d love to hang that mirror outside with another (inherited with the house) Eagle on our garage, but I’m worried about birds dive bombing and hurting themselves… so off to plan B whatever that is.
- The next day (it was a weekend sale not everyone was open Friday) I scored that KitchenAid hand mixer. There was another Sunbeam at the same price until the MIL pointed out the next one. Sticker said $2 I offered $1 and it was a done deal. What are the chances of TWO KitchenAid’s in one weekend?! You may be wondering why we need both a stand and a hand, and I would reply because something’s just need quick hand mixing without lugging out the big boy (duh!).
- The glass Apothecary Jars- $1. You see the one I use for my homemade detergent was recently broken along with my heart so imagine my relief when I found a replacement so quickly.
- That yarn (with basket) $1- aka $0.25 each with a storage basket for free. You know how much Yarn costs in the store?! Like $7 big ones by now, maybe that’s an exaggeration…
- That big bee hive refreshment jar $4.
- The Yellow Christmas ornament that I thought resembled more of a lemon than anything else, $0.10.
- That red vase $0.25.
- Those vintage black and gold glasses- $1.00 for the set. Although there were 4 but we broke one before we even had a chance to wash it #glassdoesntstanachance.
Sticker said $5 each, I offered $7 and it was a done deal.
Before we total everything up, on the last day the MIL and I rounded a corner and found these storage sheds. I’ve been passed there a MILLION times and failed to notice them before. They had a huge sign saying “Clearance.” I think the tires squealed a bit in my sheer excitement. And let me tell you they did not disappoint. Somehow we saw all this tile in a corner that said free. The MIL questioned it and the guy says yeah all the tile on the bottom is black. BLACK you guys. I sprinted to the car and backed up, dude even loaded it for us. For REAL!
And just for randomness, there was another box of free stuff at the end of a driveway and I scored 4 pool noodles. We don’t have a pool, but I’m sure they’ll make for a mighty fine craft project somehow.
So grand total: $54.35 Now THAT’s how it’s done son!
AND THEN… come Monday it was time to do a little #curbsidetreasure hunting check out this stash:
Heart the photo here.
Since normal people usually throw out some of the stuff left over from yard sales, it was the perfect morning to shop the curbs. Free. On the curb, not in garbage bags or anything. For the record, I’m not THAT gutsy. The beau has some genius plans for that green hose reel. Dude was an engineer in a past life or something I tell ya…
Well that’s all for week 18, my dearies! Please tell me you’ll follow along with us?! It’s crazy easy to play along my friends:
- Snap a photo of something that catches your eye or you decided to splurge on from anyplace secondhand (Craigslist, Thrift Stores, Auctions etc).
- Share your photo with the hashtag #thriftscorethursday on Instagram (if your profile is public) and/or Twitter, any day of the week!
So what do you think, pretty amazing deals? Do you have some mad bartering skills? Do you love scoring freebies at yard sales? Are you obsessed with town yard sales? Let’s get chatty my friends!!
>>>Looking for even more fabulous thrift scores? Pop by Megan and Brynne to see what they found this week (by clicking the images below).
Still not satisfied?! Check out our past thrift score’s here.
By submitting to #thriftscorethursday, you're granting us permission to share your treasures via our blogs or social media. No worries though, we'll link back to you!