“We’ve got 99 problems and a level floor is one.” Alright, rapping isn’t my strong suit.
Anyway, last Wednesday we left off with the 2nd bedroom/laundry room looking like this:
Since we were reconfiguring the bathroom layout and converting the 2nd bedroom into a laundry room, it was time to knock down the wall and square off each room.
I realize that some of this post may overlap in a future bathroom post since we were working in both rooms at the same time. So shade your eyes and pretend like you didn’t see any bathroom stuff mmk?
After the quick demo, the whole house got a coat of primer including this room.
Once the paint was dry it was time to carefully remove the paneling in order to reuse it when the new wall was up. We also figured pieces could be used for patches during future renovations. Then it was time to bust out the pry bars and hammers to tear down the rest of the wall.
After that the beau scored the paneling with a utility knife where the back wall of the room would be closed off and removed that piece. He then removed the adjacent piece of paneling at the seam to make way for a better supporting wall.
Here’s an in-progress shot showing the saved paneling pieces (the top right corner) and the tool mess construction brings. Actually the beau is pretty good at keeping the rooms he’s working on organized with a walking path. Just keeping it real.
See the entire house has settled over 100+ years and the floors and ceilings are out of level by 1-2 inches (which is A LOT). In order to fix it the beau started off by supporting the old wall with temporary studs just in case it was load bearing. They then traveled to the basement and started jacking up the house.
This shot is looking into the Second bedroom/Laundry room
Good thing a strong friend (very single- calling all my single ladies) of ours came over
bearing gifts er bringing a strong old school tool. That tool in question? Well, it was a 15 ton Buda Cast Iron Railroad Jack. Yep they Jimmy Rigged this thing together with a post the beau cut from our back yard (it used to be a clothes line) and a spare piece of metal they had lying around.
The metal bar kept hitting the ceiling so they had to modify the scrap metal by cutting off a few feet. Good thing the beau is wearing safety glasses!
For a temporary solution they slipped in cut pieces of plywood. As soon as we have the funds for steel and new woods beams, you better believe there will be a better support system. The cement block with the crack (that thankfully doesn’t go all the way through) gives me the heebie-jeebies.
They then built a supporting wall and reinforced the floor joists. We were now confident the floor could hold weight of a shower and our washer and dryer.
Moving back upstairs, they removed the temporary wall and made it permanent. It involved leveling, measuring, cutting and a nail gun.
The paneling was hung and the outlet and electrical was updated and relocated to attach to a stud. It left a small hole to be covered later down the road.